domingo, 14 de junho de 2020

Learning Chinese/Mandarin with subtitles - day 0

I decided today learning Mandarin with subtitles, using Anki, and its addon Watch Foreign Language Movies with Anki, with the help of some others tools, such as:
- Automatic Language-Agnostic Subtitle Synchronization - Alas: to help synchronizing the subtitles
- Subtitle tools: to make pinyin subtitles and/or merge two subtitles in one (in case it is two or more cds in one file)
- Traditional (Complex) Chinese and Simplified Chinese Conversion: sometimes I can find only Traditional Chinese subtitle. In this case, I can convert it to simplified Chinese (or vice-versa if you prefer)

The idea is simple, just take a movie, download the target subtitle (and your translation) from opensubittles.org and/or zimuku*.

* Observe that I do understanding nothing in Mandarin, so when I search for subtitles on zimuku, I use the google translate site tool.

For now, I took two movies: To live (1994) an Ip Man (2008). But I'm going to start with the first, because I'm not sure if Ip Man is Mandarin or Cantonese, because I do not have any knowledge to identify the difference, and the dialogues I analyze seems not to match the subtitles.

I'll give this a try for 30 days and blog here to let you know the results. Maybe 30 days is not enough to start learning, but we will see to where it can leave me.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário