terça-feira, 23 de junho de 2020

Learning Chinese/Mandarin with subtitles - day 5

My Mandarin Subtitle [huozhe] Anki Deck is going very slow, but I think it's better than nothing. Of course, If I have decided to just listen and try to "translate" the meaning of the dialogue's extract would be much faster, but I like the idea of trying to comprehend all the Hanzi's I found in the sentence.

Today I just studied 10 cards, in thirty minutes, with any new cards on the rank. I have three revisions to do yet, before I started a new twenty cards group. I know that if I should dedicate all my free time to Chinese, my progress would be better, but I still have English and French to study, and it's not my intention to let them fall.

I think that is one of the biggest problems is learning a new language. I have seen many people who pretend to speak a lot of languages, but the problem is they really don't dominate none of them adequately. I sure, one of the problems is they take their time to one (more or less learned) to the other, and so we just see a guy speaking a bunch of sentences, maybe capable of mingling with someone but not so much.

That is a problem I don't want to have. My Mandarin must go slowly, without taking away my goal of improving English and French to be, as it were, my first language.

Today I found an intriguing sentence in Mandarin (maybe it's clear for you, but I needed to make some translation effort to give it "my" meaning:

福贵少爷起身了, 号的恒源伺候着

Alright, it's something like "Young master Fugui is leaving, who is going to get him at home?"

But dissecting the sentence by its parts, I reach something like:

The first part is fine, Fugui shàoye (福贵少爷) gets up, is leaving. But the second has a little different meaning with Long'er asking "who is next", i.e., who is next in the (taxi) line to leave Master Fuigui at home: 号的恒源伺候着.

If you didn't read my previous posts, I'm following the movie's subtitle (Picture and audio, of course) of 活着 (To Live).

If I'm not wrong, of course. What do you think, am I right or so far from the meaning?

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário